Spinach Quinoa Patties with Chipotle Dip
Spinach quinoa patties are a great addition to a salad or simply on their own. I’ve made this recipe a couple of times this past week. When I first made it, I served it to my husband and daughter (my test subjects) along with a salad. They ate the salad and the quinoa patties and then started looking for more and before I knew it they had eaten all the quinoa patties and left me with nothing to photograph. When a teenager gobbles down something as healthy as quinoa you just have to let her eat.
The next time we had them, I made extras. We ate them like burgers on gluten free buns with melted cheese and chipotle sauce.
This is a pretty simple recipe. Basically you roast and mash the yams, cook the quinoa and mix it with the yams. In a skillet you saute onions, garlic and spinach and then add them to the quinoa/Yam mixture. Then stir in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Once it has cooled enough to handle, scoop enough to make a large ball and put it onto a parchment covered baking pan and flatten with a spatula. You can get about 6 per pan making sure to leave a bit of space in between them. Then bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn them over for an additional 10 minutes until they are firm and slightly browned. Depending on how large and thick you like your patties, this recipe makes 18.
Making Chipotle sauce is easy if you have some puree in the fridge. It quickly adds a bit of heat which you can control. Just add a teaspoon of chipotle puree to a half cup of mayonnaise. Stir well and there you go. If you like it hotter add a bit more chipotle but beware that puree is super hot and a little goes a long way. Another great sauce to serve with the quinoa patties is a dill dip. The sour cream and buttermilk would add a delicious cool down flavor that compliments the rich and sweet flavor of the yams.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 3 Shallots chopped
- 3 Medium Yams
- 1 Pkg (500 grams) Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Chipotle puree
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare Quinoa according to package instructions. (heat 2 cups water or broth to boil and add 1 cup quinoa, cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for 12 minutes and remove from heat)
- Peel and coarsely chop yams. Place on parchment lined baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes until yams are soft. Remove and let cool to handle.
- Add yams to food processor and pulse a few times to blend combine with quinoa and mix together well.
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil and add onions and salt. Saute until soft and slightly carmelized, add garlic and frozen spinach. Turn heat to medium and cover stirring occasionally. When spinach is thawed completely remove lid and allow moisture to boil off while watching it closely to prevent burning.
- Add onion mixture, Parmesan cheese to the yams and quinoa. Mix till blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cool in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper and scoop 2 tbsp of mixture out into a ball form on the pan and flatten into a pattie with a spatula. Place 2' apart.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes until browned on bottom then turn over and bake 10 more minutes.