Whether your planning to make appetizers or serve the perfect Pasta with meatballs these gluten free meatless meatballs serve the perfect bite. Made with roasted mushrooms, carrots, Parmesan cheese and quinoa for a healthy alternative thats tasty and will quickly become a family favorite.
Meatless meatballs make a great meal or a quick appetizer. You can serve them immediately, prepare them in advance or freeze and have at a later time. They are great on top of a bowl of pasta or rice, in a sandwich or as an appetizer with your favorite sauce.
Their pretty easy to prepare. Slice or chop your mushrooms, coat with oil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. The mushrooms have a nice woodsy aroma and strong flavor when roasted. After they have roasted take them out of the oven and chop them up so their not too large. I put mine in the food processor and pulsed them a couple of times. The idea is too chop them up not puree.
Grate your carrots, onions, garlic and peppers and toss in a skillet to saute till soft. Then mix together with the chopped mushrooms in a large mixing bowl. Add the black sesame seeds, crushed corn flakes, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, soy substitute, mustard, ketchup and pepper. Whisk the eggs together slightly before adding. At this point your mixture will be fairly moist so measure out and slowly add the quinoa flakes. Quinoa flakes much like oatmeal is great for sucking up extra moisture. I added 1 cup of flakes but depending on how moist your mixture is you might want more or less. You want the meatless meatballs to hold together nicely but not be sloppy or dry.
Scoop out 2 tablespoons of mixture and roll into a ball. You can use an ice cream scoop or a melon baller for this task if you prefer. I tried using my ice cream scoop but felt it made my meatballs a bit on the big side. Place them about 1″ apart on a foil lined baking pan. Make sure to spray the foil with oil or the meatballs will stick. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Turn them over at the 10 minute mark.
These are yummy out of the oven or you can make up a traditional meatball sauce for a glaze or for dipping.
To re-heat the meatballs, just add a bit of oil to a skillet and cook them up on medium heat while being careful to shift them around so they don’t burn. You can add a bit of sauce to the pan if you like but don’t over cook the meatless meatballs because cooking them in sauce will cause them to soften up and fall apart.
- 500 gr Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Red Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 c Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 Cups crushed Gluten Free Corn Flakes
- 1 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Vegetarian Worstshire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Gluten free Soy seasoning
- 1/2 c Ketchup
- 1/4 c Mustard
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 c Quinoa Flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice and chop mushrooms and garlic and coat with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes until mushrooms are darkened and moisture is drained. Once done , take out and let cool then put in food processor and pulse a couple of times to chop roasted mushrooms and garlic but keeping them still chunky.
- Prepare baking pans by lining with foil and spraying with oil to prevent sticking.
- Grate Carrots, onions, and red pepper. Saute till soft on medium heat in large saucepan.
- In large bowl combine mushrooms, garlic, carrots, onions, and red peppers. Add sesame seeds, soy seasoning, ketchup, mustard, crushed corn flakes, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and quinoa flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together well.
- Roll into balls about 1" or 1/1/2 " and place 1" apart on prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, take out and turn over and bake for 10 more minutes.