Smokey Gluten Free Cornbread
Gluten Free Cornbread is a staple in our family it is perfect as a snack and fantastic with a meal. I started making cornbread as a stuffing on thanksgiving. The cornbread added the perfect sweetness and the flavors of the fresh sage, oregano and pepper all combined wonderfully creating the perfect treat. My only problem with the cornbread would be my husband and daughter begging me to let them eat it long before I got a chance to create the stuffing. Leaving it out to cool always ended in it slowly disappearing one slice at a time. ( like I wouldn’t notice) Today I always make two loaves of cornbread. One is a decoy and just for eating and the other is for stuffing or breadcrumbs.
Cornbread is a great substitute for regular breadcrumbs except it is very moist and doesn’t have the ability to absorb moisture like the traditional crumbs.
There are so many variations that you can do to create powerful flavors. This recipe calls for cilantro and smokey cheddar in order to give it the smokey cheese flavor. Other combinations could include fresh kernel corn and jalapenos for a bit of a zing or chopped red peppers, sage and rosemary for a more savory flavor,
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 56 Grams Chickpea Flour
- 84 Grams Rice Flour
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk + 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 5 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Smoked white cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven 400° F.
- Add lemon juice to coconut milk and allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a smaller bowl stir together remaining ingredients including milk.
- Stir together until just blended and pour into buttered 9" x 9" baking pan and bake 25 minutes or until an inserted knife comes our clean.