Easy Shortbread thats Gluten Free and Vegan
Shortbread has to be one of the easiest cookies to make with only 3 main ingredients; butter, sugar and flour. These cookies are melt in your mouth good and with the addition of lavender and fresh blueberries their unbelievable delicious!
This recipe calls for “Vegan Coconut Butter” you can find the recipe here or you can you any vegan butter or regular butter if you so wish. The vegan coconut butter is wonderful in cookies because it bakes amazingly well and it gives them a hint of coconut. I’ve also used the vegan coconut butter in Blueberry Muffins.
The flour I am using is a gluten free blend. You can use regular flour if you don’t have a gluten issue or you can try a store bought gluten flour but I have never used any so I can’t say how well they will work in the recipe.
These cookies are really easy to make. I suggest combining the different flours together first and then sitting it aside until needed. In all my recipes I like to sift the flours together. I do this because I feel it makes the flours smoother and they blend together better.
For best result you wan the vegan butter to be room temperature or just slightly cooler. You don’t want it to be an oil. So take your butter out of the refrigerator and put it on the counter while you mix together your flours. Once this initial prep is done and your butter is softened you can add your icing sugar to the butter and using a hand blender or food processor, cream them together.
Add the 4 cups of flour one at a time while continuing to blend with the hand blender. Then add the lemon juice and lavender seeds.
At this point the dough should be smooth and holds together well. It might even be a bit on the moist side. Fold in the blueberries quickly because the longer you stir the blueberries, the bluer your cookies will become and then put the dough in the refrigerator to chill for about 20 minutes.
Line a baking pan with parchment paper and scoop out about 1 tablespoon of dough on the pan and then gently press down on the top to flatten the cookie.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- 1lbs Vegan Coconut Butter (regular butter works too)
- 1 c Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Dried Lavender Flowers
- 1/2 c fresh Blueberries
- 4 c Gluten Free Flour
- 173.6 gr White Rice Flour
- 100.8 gr Corn Starch
- 95.2 gr Sorghum Flour
- 84 gr Tapioca Flour
- 78.4 Almond Meal/flour
- 16.8 gr Potato Starch
- 11.2 gr Xanthan Gum
- Pre heat oven 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, cream butter and icing sugar together until it is white and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour one cup at a time. Blending well.
- Add lemon juice and lavender. Stir till thoroughly blended.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Once dough has firmed up a bit, scoop out dough approximately 1 tbsp and put on parchment covered baking pan. Then press down with your fingers to flatten it.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or when cookies are slightly browned on bottoms and tips.
- Makes about 24 cookies