Gluten Free Southwestern Easy Mac and Cheese Recipe
Mac and Cheese has always been a staple for me growing up. It was a quick and easy meal at any time not to mention cheap! The process in preparing Macaroni and Cheese included; empty box in water, boil until done, remove and drain, add cheese and stir. Done! Now I know there are a lot of fanatics (including my daughter) out there with their special way of mixing the powdered cheese. Some like it milky and add 1/4 cup milk to the macaroni. Some like buttery and melt a couple tablespoons of butter into the hot macaroni before adding the cheese. I grew up adding both butter and milk. My mom in efforts to make this highly processed and probably toxic food healthy in her mind was to add frozen peas to the mixture. As you can see there are a lot of ways to prepare this Canadian delicacy.
This easy mac and cheese recipe takes a bit of time in the oven but its full of flavor, gluten free, and highly nutritious. The addition of smoked cheddar cheese adds a certain warmth and layer of flavor that satisfy any craving. I used Quinoa Macaroni from GoGo Quinoa for some added protein (5 grams per serving).
- 1 1/2 cups of Quinoa Macaroni (I used GoGo Quinoa Macaroni)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smokey cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 540 ml can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled corn bread
- Prepare the pasta until al dente, following to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium sized bowl, combine the cheddar, smokey cheddar and Parmesan cheeses
- Over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the rice flour, salt, chili powder, pepper, and cumin. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Continuing over medium heat, whisk for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups of the cheese. Continue stirring until cheese is melted, then add the corn. Stir until combined.
- Gently toss the beans and macaroni together and put half in a two quart baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni and sprinkle with 1/2 of the crumbled corn bread then add the remaining macaroni and beans. Top it with the rest of the sauce and corn bread and sprinkle with remainder of the cheese.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is slightly toasted.