I’ve been making these low carb cheese crisps since I first discovered the Atkins diet 15 years ago. Believe me if you are craving a crunchy snack food and don’t want to blow all your hard work by eating commercial potato chips these rich tasting, crunchy Low carb cheese crisps are exactly what your looking for.
Originally I would shred a block of cheddar cheese and spread loosely over a microwaveable plate and nuke it for approximately 3 minutes. “Approximately” is the key word here because every microwave oven is different and depending on how much cheese you have or how evenly you spread it around can affect the actual cook time. It’s really important to stay nearby and watch it cook until it bubbles and starts to brown on the edges. My microwave oven was notorious for cooking the center first and leaving the outside of these Low carb cheese crisps not very crispy. Still delicious just not very uniform or predictable.
Okay so the only problem I had with this technique (which by the way still tastes great!) is that it was hard to control the appearance of the final chip. By spreading grated cheese over a plate you would eventually have one large cracker which I would break up into several pieces and munch away. I wanted a chip that was somewhat uniform. Something you could serve at a party with dip. This is when I started using pre-sliced cheese instead of shredded.
I also started preparing these Low carb cheese crisps in the oven as it was always uniform and predictable to what you would get as a final result. Sliced cheese is always the perfect thickness and you could cut the slices into smaller pieces prior to cooking if you wanted a smaller more bite sized chip. Be sure to line your pan with parchment paper it makes it alot easier to get it off the pan and clean up takes 1 second to throw the parchment in the trash.
Low carb cheese crisps
1. Preheat the oven at 400ºF
2. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper. Cut each slice into four and place on the paper 1″ apart to avoid spreading.
3. Bake for approximately 3 minutes. Watch the chips to determine how long it takes. You will notice the cheese melt to a smooth consistence then start to bubble and eventually brown around the edges. This is when I take it out.
4. Allow to cool and enjoy.
The Low carb cheese crisps will be somewhat oily at first so I usually take them off the parchment and blot them with a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
These Low carb cheese crisps are delicious on their own or with a dip. You can mix it up with different types of cheese but be careful of the different oil consistencies because this can affect the cook time.
- 8 cheese slices
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Slice cheese slices into 4 and place 1 1/2" apart (they will spread) on parchment lined shallow pan.
- Cook in oven for approximately 4-5 minutes or until cheese bubbles, turns firm and browns slightly on the edges.
- Take out of oven and dap with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Season with salt and pepper or other flavors.